From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:29:58 -0800
Good morning,

Barb is right.  As we get rid of the gift packs the companies find other ways to reach mothers.

In British Columbia, we got rid of all gift packs through the health care system 8 - 10 years ago.  We have also stopped this practice through drug stores.  However, now gift packs are couried directly to new parents homes.

I discuss this in my prenatal classes.  People are always interested in how the companies get their names.  They are surprised to learn that anytime they sign up for something, (name, address, due-date), on the internet, through a magazine, in a baby store or drug store etc.(sometimes even through the company taking baby pictures in the hospital - we stopped this one) the names are sold to the companies.

It's the perfect opportunity to discuss growth spurts. Very few people understand how the baby builds the milk supply and how using the "free' supplies will interfere with their supply and this is why the companies want to get the formula into their homes.  People are also surprised to know that the same companies who make the formula also make the medicines for when the baby gets sick from not being breastfed.

I suggest if they really want to breastfeed that they need to be confident in their own bodies and not have any formula in the house.  They are reassured that public health will follow them carefully and if formula is required, for medical reasons,  (which is rare), the nurse will let them know.

We also discuss that the $10.00 can of formula that is sent to the home is powdered formula, is not sterile and is not recommended for a baby under a month or for a premature baby. ie. they start to get the idea that "lovely" package is not so "lovely".

Expectant parents ask what they should do.  I always suggest they send the "gift" back C.O.D. to the company (ie. the company has to pay for the return postage).

Yes, it was good to get the formula out of the hospital but (sigh) we still have a lot of educational work to do.  At least the hospital and staff are not seen as promoting formula anymore.

Renee Hefti - Graham
Vancouver, Canada