From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:51:32 +1000
There's another organisation that has a gift card so that people can provide
a gift that supports breastfeeding and mothers and their babies.  It is the
maternity pack produced by the Aloloa Foundation,
www.alolafoundation.org.for , in Timor Leste (East Timor). People who want
to give a gift to a charity in someone's name can organise an Alola
Foundation gift certificate to be sent to them. The Aloloa Foundation was
set up by Kirsty Sword Guzmao, wife of the first president. She and others
saw that many mothers were so poor that they wouldn't go the the national
hospital to give birth as they had nothing to wrap the baby in to bring
her/him home. If they did give birth in a hospital, staff were tearing up
sleets to give mothers a piece of cloth to wrap the baby in.

The maternity packs are breastfeeding-friendly, with baby clothes, sanitary
needs for the mother, soap - and breastfeeding information. What is more,
the sewing and making up of the packs is all done locally in East Timor,
providing work to women. So the new mothers and their babies benefit and the
project provides work for local women in this very poor country. There are
many worthy charities, but this is the one I support. I think the link I've
provided works. If it doesn't, just search "Alola Foundation" and "East
Timor".

The big humanitarian issue that has just hit is, of course, the devastation
in the Philippines from the cyclone (typhoon) and accompanying storm surgy
of unimaginable height. To any Filippinas on this list with family in the
area, my heart goes out to you at this time of worry and grief. I hope the
aid agencies will find ways to keep mothers and babies together and
encourage breastfeeding for their safety. In disaster situations, bulk
donations of substitute feeds tie up valuable time of relief workers, takes
up storage space that could be used for water and rice, and undermines
breastfeeding - but you all know that.

Virginia
in Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Karleen Gribble wrote:

World Vision in Australia have produced a Christmas gift card that centres
around early nutrition including breastfeeding support!!! A great gift!!
https://gifts.worldvision.com.au/#!/product
Healthy start for babies
Help give precious infants and children the best start in life. A gift of
healthcare includes breastfeeding and nutrition training for new mothers, as
well as nutritional supplements for children.

This is only the second aid org I am aware of that has produced a
breastfeeding centred gift, the other is Mercy Corps Indonesia
http://gifts.mercycorps.org/gift/donate-breastfeeding-classes
Nutrition by nature Breastfeeding has been called "a natural safety net
against the worst effects of poverty." But breastfeeding rates are
alarmingly low in one place where that safety net is needed most:
downtrodden neighborhoods in Indonesia's capital, Jakarta. In Jakarta's
poorest neighborhoods, Mercy Corps promotes the practice and benefits of
breastfeeding — by fostering neighborhood-level support groups, creating
training programs and promoting events that raise awareness about its
advantages.