From:
Christine Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:01:34 -0400
Hello,
This injury usually only affects one side. I would be more inclined to blame the frenulum.  However,  most babies are able to compensate for a short frenulum around 6 weeks.  Part of his compensation may be the pinching of the nipple.  But I would try some laid back nursings in the bathtub and skin-to-skin during which the baby is allowed to root and latch on with minimal assistance when he cues to feed. If its going to be effect she will note that he starts latching with less compression.  At first it might only be with 1-2 feeds after allowing him to root but then as he gets more practice more and more of the feeds will be comfortable until after 1-2 weeks he is feeding normally around the clock.

I wouldn't worry about the frequency could be normal growth spurts, cluster feeds and/or with some feeds that are not as good as others--most of this will resolve either way.

As for her nipple pain, in my clinical experience if her nipples are tender when lightly touched by either her finger or bra then she probably has thrush along with some trauma.  If her pain is only during nursing then its just the latch.

Chris

 Christine Betzold NP IBCLC MSN

www.theBFclinic.com
Cell: 714-269-9879 Home: 714-892-9345