From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 09:29:21 -0700
Who has the most to gain by presenting this information of higher risk
of breast cancer in breastfeeding women who are 30 yrs and older?  We
all know who.  To me it is in all likilihood a distortion of the facts.
All women who enter childbirth later in life are at a higher risk for
breast cancer.  Has anyone read the book, Reclaiming Our Health, by John
Robbins?  He discusses the Tobacco Industry and its "sweet" relationship
with the AMA. As far as I am concerned formula companies have developed
the same kind of sticky relationship whereby sloppy research that
benefits formula companies positions is given public play.  I am not
saying that this particular article is one of those--I don't know.  But
I do believe that money and power influence what information is given to
the public as well as what is studied.  How many of us can do studies?
And of those, how do you get funding?  And who pays for that funding?
I'd say that most have a difficult time getting funding even when they
have a worthwhile project.  One year I thought I could get a grant and
tried for various local grants. Didn't get one but a friend who had
helped another organization receive a huge grant(not related to bfing)
said to me, "Val you have to have someone on the grant board that knows
you or your organization." I felt very cynical after that discussion and
yes possibly she said that to make me feel better about not obtaining
funding.  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC