From:
Jean Geary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:57:04 -1200
Showing a mother so obsessed with breastfeeding that she starves her child
to death wasn't enough -- they showed a mom so obsessed with breastfeeding
that they were making themselves exhausted, miserable and irrational, and
another so obsessed that she would rather end of with a deformed foot than
have surgery because it might interupt breastfeeding.  All this juxtaposed
with the happy, rational bottle-feeding family.

One message that came through loud and clear was that there immense
pressure on women to breastfeed but in reality it is extremely difficult -
no social supports etc.  And I was not surprised by the fact that no actual
breastfeeding was shown since in a culture with little or no maternity
leave, breastfeeding has been all but replaced by pumping and feeding
breastmilk via bottle which is challenging to say the least no matter how
attractive the facilities provided.  I wish American women had a more
compassionate maternity leave policy - legislated, not dependent on
corporate benevolence.  They deserve it.

Jean Geary
Fundraiser, INFACT Canada