From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 19:45:26 -0700
I talked with the mom a bit more, and among other things asked her if
anyone had tried to test for oxytocin in her system she said no. The way
she and the LC arrived at their conclusion was the meningitis history and
another client: apparently the LC had a friend who had breastfed
successfully with a couple of children. This friend then contracted
meningitis, and after recovery went on to have another baby, only this
time could not breastfeed.  The LC has surmised from this joint
correlation that perhaps meningitis does something to oxytocin......

Anyone out there have any idea as to the feasability of this thought?  I
feel like I now need to start screening for meningitis in the maternal
history, along with a whole host of other assorted things!

-Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC