From:
Pam Lacey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:47:33 +0000
Karen - the WHO 'code' is exactly that, a 'code of practice', basically a
recomendation of what 'should' be done, but it isn't 'law' and these
companies know that!  It is down to individual countries and their
legal/political to enforce the code either by making it law and therefore
prosecuting those that break it, or another way that that country can deal
with it.  Some countries have in fact adopted the whole of the 'code' and
made it 'law' in those countries, others have made a few bits 'law'.  In the
UK we have some 'bits' which are 'law' the other bits we can only try to get
the manufacturers to agree with.

So, I guess it's up to 'us' to lobby our politions to make it law in our
countries, then act as 'nipple police' for them when we see someone breaking
the 'law'.  Basically these people are laughing in our faces.  As
politicians don't seem able to do much we can only do our best - so, lobby
your mp, counsellor, senator or whatever to get this adopted as law if they
have any respect for the children of our countries.

--of trolley now!!

Pam
ABM BFC UK

From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Does the WHO do anything???

Here's a question from someone who basically has no clue so I guess
because of that I'm going to go ahead and ask!
If there are so many blatant violations of the WHO code going on, do
they actually penalize the formula companies?  Does anyone do anything
or do people like us just try to get someone to do something?
Is there a part of the WHO that oversees abm advertising?
TIA
Karen