From:
Pat Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 10:32:19 -0500
For some women (I was one) there is a drop in milk supply beginning
about a week before a menstrual period and continuing a few days into
the period. I researched this when my babies were feeding and found
that from mid-cycle until a couple of days into the period, there is
a steady decrease in blood calcium levels.  (I don't know why.)
Obviously the decrease varies among women, as some women never
experience this drop in milk. This lower blood calcium level is also
the cause of uterine cramping before and in the first days of the period.

I began to take a calcium/magnesium supplement from mid-cycle until 3
days into my period. The milk supply was maintained. When my
daughters began menstruating, I had them follow the same plan and,
with the supplement, they were able to have little or no uterine cramping.

A breastfeeding mother needs 1500mg of calcium a day. There is
calcium in many foods so she doesn't have to take the entire amount
in supplement even if she is on a dairy-free diet.

I recommend supplementation for mothers who call me with a supply
problem before and in the early days of menses. The amount of added
ca/mag is variable, of course.  I suggest that she add 1000mg of
Calcium and 500mg of magnesium a day . The more meat that we eat the
more Ca/Mag we need. Usually it takes the higher doses to accomplish
the desired goal. Vegetarians could begin with the 500mg dose. The
added ca/mag has resolved the problem in all of my clients who have tried it.

It can even be effective if they call me with the decrease in supply
and say that a period is due.  I suggest that they begin immediately
with 1000mg/500mg of ca/mag. and there is usually an increase in
supply within 24 hours.

One problem is to determine when "mid-cycle" is with a mother just
resuming menses.  I suggest that she take the supplement throughout
the month until she sees a pattern of cycling.

One shouldn't take calcium without magnesium in a 2/1 ratio (the
ratio that is found in foods and is usually found in
supplements).  Without magnesium assimilation of the calcium is
low.  And dissuade someone's taking Tums for her calcium.  It is not
an adequate dietary supplement and it is an antacid, while calcium
needs an acidic gastric environment for assimilation. She could end
up with less available calcium than if she did nothing.

In my 25 years as LC, I changed my recommendations on a number of
issues, but not on this one because it was so effective.

Patricia Gima, Retired LC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA