From:
Lisa Amir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 20:34:44 -0800
Following on from the comments about Lactnet posts being taken and used in other
contexts, one of the editorials in this week's Medical Journal of Australia
takes this thought one step further. (3 March 1997, Vol 166: 230-231.)
Protection of patient's rights to privacy is also included in the latest edition
of "Uniform requiments for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals" Ann
Intern Med 1997; 126:36-47 (I haven't seen this yet).
The MJA editorial is saying that it can no longer be assumed that only health
professionals  will read medical journals (or in our case only LCs reading
Lacnet) and so informed consent should be obtained from patients (clients)
before case studies are published. They also say that data should never be
altered in an attempt to attain anonymity.
I don't think anyone could be critised for our posts to Lactnet, but it is worth
considering if the case you discuss on Lacnet could be identified (eg a rare
medical condition in a baby from the same small town as the LC) - and in those
situations, ask the client's permission before posting.
It's been a long time since I read the Welcoming Instructions - perhaps this is
already suggested.
Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia
mailto:[log in to unmask]