From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:20:19 +1100
This document (dated Dec 2008) appears to confim that Medela intend to continue to market bottles and teats to mothers in violation of the International Code.
Karleen Gribble
Australia

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/assets/File/Addendum%20-%20Medela%20Position%20on%20Marketing%20of%20Breastmilk%20Feeding%20Products%20to%20Mothers%20FINAL%20021109.pdf

Today, many mothers rely on Medela's safe, complete breastfeeding systems to keep their babies on breastmilk and to increase the duration of breastfeeding when separated from baby. Such systems include breastpumps, as well as bottles and teats to feed expressed breastmilk to their babies. Medela feels that it is very important to give mothers access to the information and education on the proper use and benefits of this complete feeding system, getting breastmilk from mom to baby. However, these activities bring Medela in a conflict with the current interpretation of the WHO Code with regard to the marketing of bottles and teats.
After a careful evaluation we believe our actions continue to support the WHO Code's intent to support breastfeeding and oppose breastmilk substitutes. However, we recognize and sincerely regret that our actions may be considered as a WHO Code violation.