From:
Barb Otterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:47:34 -0400
Today I got a disturbing phone call from a mom who is breastfeeding her 20
month old son.  Her husband kicked her out of the house when the baby was 3
months old and has only seen the baby 3  times since then.  She has been
back to court "about every other month" for one thing or another.  Today
she was very distraught because on her last visit the judge told her that
she had to quit breastfeeding unless she could have a letter from her
baby's doctor stating why it was important that she continue
breastfeeding.  She went to her baby's doctor and he told her "Just stop
nursing, the baby doesnt' get any nutrition now anyway."  So she went to
another physician who said he didn't think it was important that she
continue nursing but would write saying she should continue until the baby
is 24 months.  This woman is 26 with a strong family history of both breast
and uterine cancers, and had a family member also die of a childhood
cancer.  She has had surgery for her severe endometriosis and doesn't know
if she will ever be able to have any more children, and would really like
to breastfeed her child until he weans himself.  I told her I would write
to all of you and see if any doctors out there could write a letter stating
the importance of sustained breastfeeding for both mom and baby.  She was
so thankful.  So if any of you feel like writing you can post to me and I
will print off the letter and forward it to her.  She has pulled alot of
stuff off the internet on the benefits of breastfeeding, but the judge
wanted a letter from a DOCTOR (because I guess only they know whats best
for a child).  I told her I would try, but that breastfeeding was a
personal issue between her and her son, and even if the judge mandates that
she stops (that seems so strange) that what she does with her son in her
private life is her choice, I probably just wouldn't breastfeed in the
courtroom or in front of the baby's father.  Thanks in advance to all who
choose to reply.  Barb in Wisconsin where alot of doctors really don't
believe there is much benefit to breastfeeding past 6 months.