From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:54:51 -0500
<<1.  Could the scope results, (allergy cells present in tummy and
rectum),
mean anything else other than sensitive to dairy and soy?>>

absolutely.  could be *anything*.  apples, corn, gluten, broccoli.
truly any food.  though the top eight are responsible for 80% of rxns.
I wouldn't look only at those eight though.

<<  Could the irritation have anything to do with collick?>
others have answered this.  I think colic is *usually*, almost always a
sign of a food intolerance.   One gastro that I know believes that
virtually all babies with reflux are reacting to some food.  In his
experience about 80% are sensitive to dairy, about half of those to
gluten.  The rest:  something else.

<<2.  What made her reflux in the first place if now there is no sign of
acid
reflux from the scope?>>

allergies.  it's very common for allergic babies to spit up, throw up.

<<
3.  Would allergies only affect her during the day?  She has always slept
well and long at night.>>

Different people react differently.   One of my food sensitive kids is
an awful sleeper.  Just began sleeping through the night at 3.5.  My
other one, who is allergic to probably more foods and enviornmental
triggers, is a great sleeper and always has been (unless she's up
scratching eczema on her neck).   I have had food allergies/intolerances
my whole life (and environmental) and have been a 'great sleeper' (per
my mom) since birth.

<<4.  How are the symptoms of collick and allergies to dairy and soy
different?>>

As I said before, I think colic is usually undiagnosed food
intolerance/allergy.  The array of symptoms is vast - from skin
problems, to digestive, to behavioral to psychological.

<<5.  Will soy/dairy in my diet create an immunity in her?>>

If you mean 'immunity', no.  If you mean 'immune response', yes.   If
she's reactive to certain proteins and fractions thereof, the presence
of them in your milk will be enough to trigger a response in her.  Some
intolerances (IgG) are dose dependent..meanign that there may be  low
level of consumption that is tolerable.....IgE - the immediate response
allergies are those that can evolve into life threatening respiratory
involvement allergies.  In my experience though, both need to be taken
seriously.  IgE's b/c they can be so obviously debilitating, and IgG's
b/c they can cause other health problems down the road if not taken
seriously.

<<6.  Is there a correlation between my son's first 4 months of 'collick'
symptoms and Ellies so far?  (Did my son have soy/dairy allergies or is
Ellie just collicky?)>>

Your son could have had *any* intolerance/allergy.  They could very well
have been related.   The presence of allergies/intolerances tend to run
in families.

<<8.  Nursing makes me more hungry.  I've heard that the elimination diet
causes weight loss - should I be concerned I may become weak?>>

Nope.  That's why I wouldn't focus on 'eliminating' soy or dairy from
your diet so to speak.   You could put  yourself on a wild goose chase:
maybe she's only allergic to melon and fish?  kwim?   I'd instead focus
on basic foods, eating as much as you need to, then adding foods back
in.   You can find out what's triggering things right away.  IgE and IgG
testing would be fantastic.  It would give you a place to start *right*
away.   You may have to be very very insistent about blood testing over
skin testing (skin testing has too many false negs) and may have to be
insistent about IgG as well.  Both will be important to get the whole
picture.

<<9.  Are there other drugs for anx/dep that would not make for a fussy
baby?>>
Zoloft and Paxil (in that order) are generally more well tolerated and
more frequently recommended than Prozac.  Some people feel very
comfortable using St. John's Wort.   Omega 3 essential fatty acids have
been show to help significantly with depression.  The Omega-3
Connection: The Groundbreaking Anti-depression Diet and Brain Program by
Andrew L. Stoll MD has great information.

"Dr. Andrew Stoll is a psychiatrist from Harvard and his recent book,
The Omega-3 Connection is an outstanding book detailing how fish fats
can be enormously useful in treating depression."
"A must-read for anyone dealing with depression, .......Only in this
case, it's not just what we're eating--it's what we're not eating: foods
containing omega-3 essential fatty acids--the 'good fats' that help
maintain optimal brain function. In his book, Stoll, the director of the
psychopharmacology research lab at Boston's McLean Hospital and
assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School, suggests
that restoring our body's natural balance of omega-3s may help alleviate
(and prevent) many types of depression ..."

<<11. Would I see a HUGE difference in my baby when she has been on
neocate
for 3 days already?>>

maybe, maybe not.  depends on what she's sensitive too.  Also, her gut
will need time to heal.

<<  Would I see a HUGE difference when on the elimination
diet for 3 days, how long would it take to see the diff?>>

if you go to the very basic diet (rice, turkey/lamb, zucchini/summer
squash, winter squash, salt pepper olive oil)  you probably will very
very quickly.....barring an unusual rice allergy.

<<
13. Why is the tissue in the rectum swollen, and why are there more
allergy
cells there than in the tummy?>>

breastmilk moves quickly through the stomach.  there would be more
allergens in contact with the lining of the intestines for longer
periods of time.

katherine in atl