From:
Maureen Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 23:54:43 -0400
Hi Cathy,
I work as an LC in the NICU.  Our criteria is extubation and stability.  If they are stable enough to be fed, they can go to breast.  I have put 28 weekers to breast, and God love 'em, they latch on best as they can and have a good time.  It is done as part of their Kangaroo Care.  We do have the mother empty their breasts until about 33 weeks and then try with halfish and full breasts as long as they do fine with the flow.  Most of them do great with their mother's milk flow.  Around 33-34 weeks, we may add the use of a nipple shield if the baby is having trouble sustaining latch.
Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Boston, MA