From:
Renee Hefti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 07:41:06 -0700
http://www.babymilk.nestle.com/our-contribution-to-child-health/nestle-healthy-kids-global-programme/Pages/default.aspx

(excerpt from the link above)
Some of Nestlé's well-established programmes include the following:

  a.. Nestlé has sponsored "Together, Let's Prevent Childhood Obesity" in France since 1992. The EPODE approach involves creating new educational schemes, mobilising local stakeholders and gaining the support of the mayor to empower not only the children but also their families and others local people in a sustainable way. It now extends to 275 cities - 225 in France (EPODE) and 38 in Spain (THAO), five in Greece (PAIDEATROFI) which Nestlé supports as well as 13 in Belgium (VIASANO). Nestlé also supports the European EPODE Network, which is supported by the EU Commission and aims to extend and improve the EPODE programme.
  b.. Nestlé Brazil's "Nutrir" programme, established in 1999, teaches good nutrition to low-income children through games, puppets and cooking activities. Since 1999, Nestlé Healthy Kids in Brazil/Nutrir have trained 11'000 educators and reached 1.2 million children in 4000 schools and social organisations. Nutrirhas since been successfully adapted by Nestlé in Mexico, Ecuador, Venezuela and Colombia.
  c.. Nestlé Russia's "Good Nutrition" educational programme helps children and teenagers to adopt correct nutrition habits as part of a healthy lifestyle. The programme has reached over 300'000 pre-school and school children every year, and over 2.5 million children in total, since it began in 1999.
  d.. New pilot programs are starting already in 2010 in many countries such as Argentina, China, Taiwan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Pakistan, Philippines, India, Mauritius, Germany, Malta, and The Netherlands.
PLEASE help stop Newark / Nestle and set a precedent to say, "NO" to Nestle.

WHO CARES WHAT IS HAPPENING?  WHO IS GOING TO DO SOMETHING?

Those of us working in the trenches MUST have help from the top.  Does the US want to

become one more of Nestlé's conquests?

Lactnetters: I have just sent the above information to everyone I know, including many gov. officials.  Please let me know off line where you have sent it.

Petition, (link below) will end on May 16.  Please bombard it with signatures and comments.  And please tell me privately why very few men are signing.  We need their help too!!
http://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-cory-booker-newark-new-jersey-usa-stop-the-hypocritical-newarknestle-campaign-to-target-childhood-obesity?share_id=HDVyjOmNmk&.

Renee (in Vancouver, Canada)
RN, Lactation Consultant
International Breastfeeding Advocate