From:
Joyce Blangiardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 01:24:12 UT
Hi Kathleen,
        I didn't respond more quickly to your request about lecturing to cbe's re the
latest research to support BF.....'cause I was stuck in the mode of wondering
why they need new research, isn't it obvious why BF should be supported?
Guess I think everyone's on Lactnet, or of a Lactnet way of thinking and knows
all this already!  Time passed, my mind cleared, and here are a few thoughts.

As a childbirth educator I'd be interested to learn how most of them handle
the topic of BF.  You say they teach it within a series of cb classes.  Do any
of them at all teach a separate class on BF?  If  not, you may find that the
most they devote to BF is part of one session in which they cover infant
feeding and infant care.  Doesn't leave much time for good solid BF
information, does it?  The approaches that have been discussed in the last few
posts ( Susan Smylie, Linda Smith, Lisa Marasco) make lots of sense to me.  A
little here, a little there, will enlighten the masses slowly but surely.
Don't they say that the slower change comes about, the more likely it will
last longer once change does occur?  So the slow water drip method that Linda
writes about makes lots of sense.

 It sounds like those of us who've commented so far are pretty much all of the
same mindset on this.  But I believe you're right that the cbe's you'll be
speaking to will have anxiety about not wanting to "turn off" the
bottlefeeders by "pushing" BF, and not wanting to "waste the time" of the
bottlefeeders by giving BF information.  Somehow there doesn't seem to be the
same anxiety about turning off the breastfeeding moms by giving bottlefeeding
information; its as if the mindset already is established that eventually
everyone gives formula.  Oh, my....

In my earliest years of teaching Lamaze, I tried to follow the model of
teaching baby care and baby feeding all in one class session of a cb series.
Too much content, too little time. I quickly divided the content into two
separate classes; one on baby care, the other on breastfeeding and bottle
feeding.  Still an uncomfortable format.  I THEN  decided that (1) the baby
care class was best accomplished by covering baby basics including benefits of
breastfeeding (and encouragement to take the breastfeeding class if they plan
on nursing or are undecided) and bottle feeding basics, and (2) offering a
totally separate Breastfeeding Class.

The "undecideds" are more likely to decide to take the breastfeeding class, I
think, from being exposed to the seeds I purposely plant  throughout the
Lamaze class sessions regarding BF.  Of course, being their Lamaze teacher and
an IBCLC, I have an immediate advantage in encouraging them not to decide to
bottle feed, although the media and friends and family often seem to expect
that they will.  They know they have immediate access to me as an LC for any
questions or concerns they may have before or after the baby arrives.  And the
IBCLC credential conveys to them  "She knows what she's talking about".  By
the time a cbe series is over, they have a certain level of trust in what
their cbe has shared so she's in an excellent position to impact on their
infant feeding choice.  So many "undecideds" are enlightened and empowered to
BF by the time the BF class is over, that its very satisfying.

As an aside to Lisa, I, too, give the quickest smattering of the most basic of
basics on bottlefeeding because I know they get so much from other sources.
I've become very comfortable with it.  But that didn't happen overnight.  In
answer to your question, I for one identify incredibly with you and your
concerns on this issue.  Re the mom who felt advantages to breastfeeding
should be left out of the BF class, I FULLY agree. A written handout on
Reasons to BF would be fine.  But let's face it, they wouldn't be at the BF
class in most cases unless they already were considering or committed to
breastfeeding.  The time to expose them to reasons to BF (or reasons not to
formula feed) is more appropriately placed at an infant care class or cbe
class; why waste time preaching to the choir by spending any more time than
necessary covering advantages to BF at the BF class?.

SINCE THE MAJORITY OF WOMEN MAKE THE BREAST VS BOTTLE DECISION IN THE FIRST
TRIMESTER (that is still right, isn't it?)  SHOULDN'T WE FIRST BE INTRODUCING
ADVANTAGES  OF BF (OR SIMILARLY DISADVANTAGES OF BOTTLEFEEDING) IN OUR EARLY
PREGNANCY CLASSES?   That's the place where I personally begin planting my BF
seeds!  As a member of the ASPO/Lamaze National Faculty, it would be my
personal recommendation to childbirth educators to offer an Early Pregnancy
Class or Introduction to Pregnancy Class (its a good marketing tool for cbe
classes after all) during which time you plant BF seeds as carefully as you
can, so what you sow has plenty of time to grow and bloom!

 WHEW!  This one really struck a nerve.   If there's one suggestion I could
leave with you Kathleen, its that Diane's recent editorial in JHL  is one of
the single most significant articles I've seen lately which is definitely
worth bringing to the attention of cbe's.  It sure got me to thinking and
listening more carefully to what I say about BF!

Joyce Blangiardo RN, FACCE, IBCLC
Rockville Centre, Long Island, NY