From:
ADNIL BP <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:20:17 EST
Regarding Jack's post about using cup or syringe if necessary, I prefer the
syringe (I use peridontal).  The reason is, I have tried both over twenty
years, and when teaching the parents this supplemental technique I have found
they always feel more secure with the syringe.  They like that the baby sucks
their (father or mother) finger while doing it, ( which cannot be done with
the cup) and can control (if need be) the flow rate ml by ml.  Since either is
a temporary measure, it may not matter, but for the reasons I stated, when
parents are doing the feeds, I opt for the syringe over the cup.
Linda Pincus, RN, IBCLC