From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 21:18:25 -0400
Hi. I searched the archives but was not able to get information on babies born
between 37 and 39 weeks. I thought I heard these babies are at risk also for
things such as jaundice, low glucose, breastfeeding problems.  There is a lot of
info on babies born between 35 and 37 weeks.  We do so many inductions and
many babies are born around 38-39 weeks. Many moms seem to think they
only have to make it to 37 weeks. I need some information that explains why it
is important to let babies have a full gestation.  I know some babies come on
their own before 40 weeks, but I am referring to the inductions. We are a level
I nursery so we are not used to preterm babies. It is ironic that we tend to
treat our babies as completely full term when most never see 40 weeks!  If we
do have a baby deliver at 41 weeks (like we had today) then it is because
mom had little to no prenatal care so the doc. couldn't schedule an induction!
Thanks for your time.

Christine Lichte, IBCLC