From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:02:19 -0500
I have been gone and just read all of the posts in the sunlight/vit D
discussion. It has been a long thread and it may be time to snip the
thread. But I do suggest that you read The UV Advantage by Dr. Michael
Holick of Boston University. I heard him speak and I read his book.  It is
quite convincing of the overall benefits of sunlight--far beyond preventing
vitamin deficiency disease.

He is speaking mainly of adults and has maps of the US showing where
certain chronic diseases are more prevalent with accompanying low levels of
sunlight. He does firmly address the problem of overexposure to UV rays as
he is advocating *responsible* sun exposure. He does not have a
one-size-fits-all recommendation.

There are very useful charts in the back of the book where one can
determine her skin type then go to a chart showing ideal sun exposure
without screen based on her geographic latitude. The chart adjusts for time
of year.

For example, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin an area of mid-latitude a person of my
skin type should be in the direct sun (on 25% of my body--face hands arms
and legs) for 15-20 minutes a day at  this time of the year. After that
time she would apply sunscreen for the rest of her sun time.

Many people prefer simple answers such as "never be in the sun between 10am
and 2pm without high spf sun screen."  So that is what we are told.  Then
if we become vitamin D deficient we can take a supplement, believing that
we have made up for the absence of sunlight.  But we haven't.

His mention of breastfed babies follows the standard recommendation of the
AAP. I plan to invite him to extend his appreciation of the broad benefits
of sunlight to infants and children too.

He addresses the different kinds of skin cancer which is interesting
reading. Avoiding sunburn is part of one's responsibility in self care.

I read in an issue of _Science_ magazine that sunlight has a beneficial
effect on the intestinal tract, hence its positive effect on the immune
system. Just as with adults, if we only give a vitamin D supplement to our
infants we are still shortchanging their overall health.

I am glad to see that the labeling of sunlight as a carcinogen is being
challenged.  Taking responsibility for our own health, which includes
education and common sense is the only way to survive the changing fads in
public health recommendations.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]