From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:03:28 -0500
Actually this  (prescribing) has been a problem also for nursing for a
long, long time.  And I think , without realizing it, that we all
"prescribe" in many ways, every day, whether it is as a health professional
or simply as a mom or friend.

IMHO, advising is really "prescribing" if you think about it.  I think
advising moms to use an herb or take a tylenol or use heat or cold or
cabbage on her sore breasts is truly "prescribing" in the literal use of
the word.  We also need to remember that we are the advocate for the mom or
baby.  We can refer her back to  her primary care provider when we realize
she needs a formal "prescription " and give her a good idea of what she
needs.

But we do lots on informal "prescribing" all the time as LCs.  It's
semantics and overlap of roles and pt.needs.  Times and medicine are
changing!  And lots about BF isn't medicine at all!

How's that for livening up the discussion?  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ