From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:52:58 -0500
Re:
"At least now most of the docs are encouraging them.  This gives moms
some
amunition because they can say,  "My doctor wants me to breastfeed
for..."
and it will be respected."
-- I agree that this can be helpful. It was in my case, in 1985, when my
ped. told me to tell my unsupportive (not current!) spouse that my baby
had so many allergies she *must* be breastfed for a year.
On the other hand, most doctors, in my experience, will not tell moms
that they should breastfeed for at least two or three years, and even if
they did, there will be some arbitrary limit that will have the
psychological effect of thinking they need to wean at that point.
Besides, it doesn't empower women to let their babies make the decision,
rather than their doctors. To make this a breastfeeding-friendly
culture, mothers have to trust their instincts and listen to their
babies.
Jo-Anne -- only one now is still poxed, but she's having a really hard
time...