Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:44:54 +0200
I agree with Barb from Rochester regarding "how we say it", and how we relate to bf moms who want/need/have been recommended to supplement with ABM. Often their self-confidence has been blown to bits, and if we come across too strong
it only adds to their feeling of failure. We all have the same goal in mind which is ultimately supplying that baby with BM only and by exclusive BF..
On a few occasions when discussing the ramifications of occasional bottles and ABM, we try to put in a "disclaimer" saying that
the decision is totally up to the mom even though ________________________ may be a result. Again, informed choice.  There are cases, especially with FTT and minimum weight gainers that knowing that it isn't  "forbidden" eases their minds and lets them get on with trying to be exclusive BFers. I have had moms say that they felt so pressured by others (including LC's) "forbidding" the bottle. (I also take that with a grain of salt, because as Barb states, we can say one thing and the client can hear another). The other issue is if this baby has had formula in the first few days of life - which many have, here in Israel - then we feel we have an easier job accepting the bottle, occasionally. By occasionally, that means usually giving a supplement once or twice a day, then cutting it in half (even tho' we know that she probably has enough without any supplement at all, or that she can up her supply by increasing her bf daily) and then eliminating it altogether. This has worked best, in general, and in the end, the most important thing is that FTT or borderline baby MUST GET FED. And sometimes that means ABM. Obviously we recommend alternate methods and monitor the baby's willingness to latch and bf.
Have a nice weekend, everybody.

Ellen Shein, ex Albany, New York, (thats for Barb there in Rochester!) in Hot Tel Aviv.