Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:02:56 EST
My grandson has his first upper respiratory illness. He is 8.5 months old,
and started a little bit of solids last month. Stacy is absolutely sure (this
being her first child ) that: starting solids compromised his immune system,  a
lady at church shared a toy that had not been properly sterilized,  the kids
at the preschool where she teaches 2 mornings a week spread the germs to him
via her, his temperature is dangerously high (99.4), and no other child has ever
been this miserable. My son in law wants to make sure his fever isn't
dangerously high so we need to be sure to bath the baby if it gets dangerously high.
( first child syndrome).  I raced (or hobbled as my knee will have it) down
there yesterday to the island where everyone has colds and allergies flaring up,
and I came to these conclusions: He has a clear discharge from his nose with
a cough, he is a  miserable, he is teething, isn't it great he hasn't been
sick yet this winter, I'm too old to get up at night with a cranky baby so the
best solution is to tuck him in bed with her and dad as they have done every
night since he has been born, sleep as much as you can, nurse whenever he wakes
up cranky, and  if Nana doesn't get her sleep, she gets cranky too.  And as far
as legislating cosleeping, does this mean that police officers will be
outside bedroom windows peeking in.  I'll go ahead and confess, we coslept all of
our children, 3 kids, 3 bedrooms, 3 beds plus assorted sofas, and sleeping bags.
 And this morning I co slept for awhile with my daughter and grandson. And it
is nice.
Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
Eastern NC