From:
Sara Demmon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 13:56:36 -0500
Hello all,

When I saw the commercial for the "breastfeeding coming between mom and dad"
the hair went up on my neck also.  However, being a general Oprah fan I
actually watched the whole show to see what actually was going to be said (I
guess that commercial did the trick!).

In the end, while "Dr. Phil" was coaching the couple with the difficulty,
breastfeeding actually never came up!  He much more went at the difficulty
of the dad feeling left out.  As many have already said here, that is a
normal, common feeling that has 2 sides.  The dad has to "get over it" to a
certain degree.  The mom has to also "get over it" in the area that although
her baby may be the first and foremost thing in her mind, that maybe (just
maybe) she could consider greeting her husband at the door when he came home
from work, even though she WAS tired, etc.  If that is all it would take to
do her part - go for it!  I guess I can relate because my husband and I have
also had this conversation, and when I finally tried doing just that one
thing, he was much more able to do his.  Do we have to make it a contest?  I
hope not.  Or the breastfeeding relationship will suffer at some level.  Us
"touched out" moms can be as hard to deal with as the "left out" dad.

Now, back into lurkdom where I continue to be amazed at the bountiful
breastfeeding wisdom here at Lactnet!

Sara
LLLL in Wisconsin
where we are STILL mowing the lawn at least once a week!