Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 22:17:55 EST
there aren't always warning signs, i am sure, because some of us need to
appear to be coping, etc., but here in my area there was a double murder of
children by a mother. she had been hospitalized already and discharged after
treatment for this, and was not at all improved (do i suspect something to do
with managed care?). when she was discharged, she was left home all day alone
with her children.

her husband took them all out one day for ice cream, and asked the mother what
she was dreaming of the most, and she replied, "to drive the car into the lake
with me and the children in it." everyone feels terribly sad that this tragedy
happened, and all the women from her mother's support group (NOT a bf support
group) were really sorry they hadn't made it over yet to help her out (baby
was about three months old, i believe).

i can't understand why the father would then get up in the morning and go off
to work all day after hearing the mother say that. what more of a warning sign
would one need? if a babysitter said that about your children, would you leave
them alone? it's a very sad story.

carol brussel IBCLC