From:
Leslie Wolff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:28:26 +0200
In Breastfeeding Management for the Clinician - Using the Evidence -  Marsha
Walker has devoted an excellant  chapter to "The First 24-48 Hours- Common
Challanges".  Included are examples of Decision Trees, Checklists, etc.
 I am working on having the  Newborn Ward of my hospital decide that the
year of 2008 will  be devoted to the "24 Hours Project".
This means not only making our own guildlines  , certified by the head
doctors of course, concerning the first 24 hours for  healthy term babies
with healthy mothers who choose to fully breastfeed , but also rising the
knowledge and expertise among the nurses themselves, concerning S2S,
teaching mothers to express colestrum, inverse pressure softening, etc. Our
(head nurse of ward and myself) aim is to involve all the nurses in this
project - having groups of 2-3 nurses work( get experience, do research,
write down small case studies , etc. ) on a specific field - and share with
the other nurses.  This is a huge project - but my feeling is that this may
be a great educational tool for the nurses.
 By the way - I hope 2008 in the Birth Ward will be devoted to Skin to
Skin - breastfeeding during the first 24 hours is very much accepted, but
S2S is neglected...
Also in the NICU - Kangaroo CAre is accepted and promoted with the tiny
premees, but S2S is neglected once  they are out of the incubators, past 33
weeks. ect. .
Any suggestions, comments, sharing of past experiences  - from Lacnet
members would be greatly appreciated, either through the GROUP or directly
to me
CLSOE TO THE HEART
Leslie Wolff, IBCLC, Bnai Zion Medical Center, HAifa, Israel