Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 07:39:36 -0500
Postpartum thyroiditis must be unusual 2 years after birth.  There are other
causes of thyroiditis besides what occurs in the immediate postpartum
period.  Hashimoto's thyroiditis we called it in my day, and maybe it's
still called that.  I presume the physician wants to distinguish between
Grave's Disease (which is long lasting) and other types of hyperthyroidism.
But there is no need to do a thyroid scan for that.  Symptomatic treatment,
even PTU can be used, and the mother followed.  I seem to recall too that
there were blood tests which could distinguish one from the other.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC