From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 18:59:22 -0700

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have observing Carol Melcher - she is a
real 'pro' and communicates in a way that is a sight (and an ear) to behold!

The main messages are:
	Let's give moms who came in WANTING to breastfeed the support to
breastfeed (takes all sorts of stress off of staff that isn't interested in
changing).
	Let's give moms and babies TIME TOGETHER, SKIN TO SKIN

...then guess what?  Babies start breastfeeding!  Does anyone remember the
question Nils Bergman posed to the ILCA audience a year ago...he asked "how
many of you breastfed your babies?"  then he changed it to "how many of you
had babies that breastfed?"  His message was that when it is allowed to be
INFANT driven it works much better!

What Carol does is change the cart and the horse- we often are there
"pushing" breastfeeding BY doing skin to skin...she encourages skin to
skin...and breastfeeding follows!

SOFT is the measures taken and the evaluation tool:

How many mothers are facilitated to be with their babies to experience:
	Skin to skin
	Open Eyes
	Fingertip Touch
	Time Together

All of this is possible with (and good for) mothers whether they plan to
breastfeed or not...so the nurses don't even have to ask if mom plans to
breastfeed -EVERYONE (given a stable baby) is encouraged to have SOFT....

This program IS evidence-based - IS culturally effective and DOES work - as
long as the administration allows the appropriate training to be given,
supports the chart reviews - and the celebration of successes!  I hope your
staff will give it a chance!

...by the way, also don't forget to get your additional "tools" for
breastfeeding hospital policies from our "toolkit"...under "Related
Activities" in our Breastfeeding webpage:
http://www.mch.dhs.ca.gov/programs/bfp/

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN,IBCLC
California