From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:03:17 +1000
Jon sent us this newspaper clipping...

>Baby breastfed by wrong mother By Alison Crosweller, 14mar01
>
>A NEW mother of twins was given the wrong baby to breastfeed by a midwife at

Yes these things do happen and they shouldn't!!
But you know what ... I'd be very much unhappier if they 'accidently' gave
my baby a bottle of formula then gave him/her to another mother to
feed.  And that does happen a lot.

Why the HIV, Hep B, Hep C tests too - that's overkill.  If it's only ever
received breastmilk then one short feed from a possibly HIV infected mother
would give the baby the slightest chance of a next to zero percent chance
of contracting HIV (which certainly won't be showing up in blood tests yet
anyway), and no chance of getting Hep B or C.

Is this just propaganda to try to show how 'dirty' breastmilk can be?

And!! (I could rave on plenty more) why take blood from the baby?  Wouldn't
it be more to the point to take blood from the mother of the 'donor'
breastmilk to exclude those diseases in her first.

With any luck at all this was a bottle fed baby and the poor little mite
actually got its one and only mouthful of the real thing.

Denise

Denise Fisher BN, RN, RM, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies
++++++ earn 120 L CERPs +++++++++