From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:54:39 -0500
 I have made crossword puzzles and word scrambles and whoever turns one in gets the prize. I usually make the little 2 hershey's kisses on a business card size paper with the wbw slogan for the year. The nurses love getting a little chocolate fix during their shift. Example: Attention to optimal O I O G P I N N I S T and latch on will help mothers to avoid sore nipples and will allow baby to take more breast and therefore more milk.

I also make up little scenarios and give out to the nurses. They have to say what they would do in that situation. When they turn it in they get a prize. Last year I had everyone watch 2 videos which were for staff assisting bf moms. If the watched the video they put their name in a box. If they watched both videos (one was basics and one was problems) they had their name twice. We picked from the box for gift cards. Example: Terrence is Mrs. Jones first baby. Terrence was born vaginally less than 24 hrs ago. No complications were noted. Mrs. Jones has planned to breastfeed since she found ot she was pregnant. She attended bf class and reads books and magazine articles about bf.

Mrs. Jones is having a hard time waking Terrence to bf and she is afraid "he will starve." (Terrence's glucose is normal and he is not jaundiced -- optional statement). You come into the room and Mrs. Jones tells you she wants to give her baby formula since the baby won't nurse now and she doesn't want him to starve.

What would be the best way to respond to this new mother?

I have several of these scenarios.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
BMH-UC Breastfeeding Resource Center
 "Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of BMH-Union County or Baptist Memorial Healthcare Corporation."

Baptist 100. Well beyond a century.

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete it immediately.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email...