From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 18:21:24 -0500

<< I  just spoke with our formula rep for the company that is not putting
 pumps in their diaper bag, instead they are going to be giving moms a
 $10.00 off rebate coupon to  be used towards the breast pump of their
 chioce. He said this way moms can use it towards the purhace or ental of
 a quality pump from the hospital they deliver at and this will make the
 LC's happier ....
 What do you think of this?

Not much.  In pragmatic terms, how is this going to work?  Is the hospital
going to collect these coupons and turn them in?  You really think the
HOSPITAL is going to decrease the price of a hand pump to a mom -- this stuff
is all computerized; it probably doesn't matter all that much if it is 3rd
party reimbursed, if it is managed care, the hospital will make money, I
suppose, on pumps that the mom wouldn't pay for anyway.  If the hospital has
a rental station, I suppose it might work practically speaking.  If the
hospital doesn't have a rental station, does this go to the local LC, who now
takes the coupon and redeems it from her local formula rep?????  Gosh, I'd
have a REALLY hard time with that.  Do I want to take money from
MJ/Ross/Nestle/Gerber/ etc etc. under ANY guise?  Obviously, some people
think their money is as good as anyone's....  On the face of it, this "looks
so nice" but it is still trying to buy the LCs and their good will -- or the
mom's good will.  "Look!  Isn't the Puke Co. nice!  They gave me $10 to rent
a good pump!  They must REALLY like bf!"

Nah, I don't think so.

Jan Barger