From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:49:11 EST
Dear Lactnet Friends,
A client has just delivered beautiful boy-girl twins, conceived through
extensive fertility treatment, & in vitro fertilization.  It is day 6 and we
are supplementing the babies heavily as she has been literally "dry".  Last
night she finally pumped some milk, enough to dribble down into the bottle.

Please tell me;  do you know of references or other info (case studies?) of
mothers who have had infertility also having low/no milk supply?  I have
noticed it with other moms and I grieve for them each time.

We are looking at all causes now, low thyroid, retained placenta, fatigue,
stress.  She has been healthy in all other ways and pumping, and the babies
have been able to nurse some with an SNS, although they are not good nursers
yet.  The scales has also confirmed no intake at the breast at multiple
feedings, so ample supplements are mandatory at this point.

Any information or thoughts will be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA
South-Central Virginia