From:
Diane Karnbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 23:37:39 -0400
Maybe someone can answer some questions for me.

I had a call from a mom with a three month old baby.  She had been to her Ped
for a well baby check and told me that he got really angry with her because
she had not started juice yet. Mom says she was told to give 5 oz per day.
 Mom began giving juice and baby spit most of it up.  The mom called the
Ped's office and was told by the nurse to give every other day instead.  Mom
is not comfortable with this but is uncomfortable about going against MD's
orders. She didn't ask why he felt juice was needed.  I explained that baby
did not need juice yet or anything else til 4 to 6 months and that
introducing juice may decrease her milk supply, especially since she will be
returning to work this week and will away from her baby all day (she will be
pumping at work).

What is AAP recommendations for juices if any?  Does anyone know why Ped
would feel juice is needed?  Mom thought it had something to do with vitamin
C but my references say breastmilk is high in vitamin C.  She is planning on
coming to our next LLL meeting and I have asked her to bring the little
booklet that the MD gives out to new moms (I can't wait to see it).  Any
insight would be appreciated.

Diane Karnbach, LLLL
(who can't figure out where some MD's get their information!)