From:
Bbestfeed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:36:27 EDT
Patty,

Although I cannot understand this father's insistance on wanting to feed his
child, I would definitely suggest that mom mention that if he insists on her
pumping that he at least purchase the P** which is a much better pump and she
may mention to him that "it is the only pump that she should be using to pump
her breasts at this time".  Of course we know this isn't necessarily true, but
maybe the price of the pump itself would discourage the father!  Also, is the
father "allowed" to do anything else with the baby?  Some mothers are so
protective of their babies that they simply do not allow fathers to do
anything so that this envy may not be "breast" envy but "baby" envy.  Maybe
she could suggest that she ask the dad to do something special with the baby.

With my first, I was the one that was insistant that my husband feed the baby
a bottle so that he could realize that "this was not my job only".  He did
give our son his first bottle at 20 days old, I was envious that my son took
the bottle so easily!!  That was the one and only time that he EVER got a
botttle.

See ya,
Yvonne
Yvonne C. Bannister, IBCLC
Private Practice/Baby's BestFeeding
"A mother holds her baby who holds her breast . . . . and gets the best!"