From:
Jennifer Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:21:44 -0500
That is a wonderful policy that unfortunately does not exist in our largest
area hospital.  Mom sees baby for approximately one minute (this is no
joke - mom's arms are still strapped down, so she doesn't touch baby, but
can see the baby).  Then baby is taken to a small nursery beside the OR to
be checked out, weighed, etc..  Then - baby is taken to nursery.  Dad or
other support person goes with baby to nursery, but can't go in, so watches
through the window.  Meanwhile, mom goes to recovery for a minimum of one to
two hours - basically until she can move her toes on her own.  Babies are
absolutely not allowed in the recovery room.  Neither are husbands or
support people, for that matter.  Once mom is back to her own room, and has
been deemed stable, then the baby is brought to her.

It's a sad, sad, sad state of affairs.  I spend a good deal of time
educating moms on the importance of immediate skin-to-skin contact, rooming
in with babies, etc., and it's thrown straight in the toilet in the case of
a c-section at our largest hospital (5000 plus babies a year).

Jennifer D
BirthBasics