From:
Mike and Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 23:38:27 -0400
I am really keen to hear more about this from wise women with wide
experience. I just counseled a woman who's had bilateral mastitis twice
(baby 4 weeks old), been hospitalized the 2nd time, and the only thing "the
nurses" told her (her quote) was to pump her breasts empty after every feed
- and in between feeds if the baby didn't nurse. She had a fever again as
she spoke, one day after discharge.
It seemed to me the antibiotics weren't working. I told her to get a
culture of the breast milk - why didn't the hospital do this, I wondered,
is it really unusual to culture stuff? Do they just chuck a wide spectrum
antibiotic at people and hope it works? Should I call her back immediately
and tell her to get tested for Strep B? Help please!
Anne M.