Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 11:01:47 -0500
>I'm still wondering what the underlying tie is between all these
>galactogogues; being related to stomach issues certainly is a common factor,
>but what is ultimately being affected? We gotta solve this mystery.

I am thinking that one connection is that optimal intestinal health
supports optimal nutrient absorption. Often when I have a client who has
little milk production I find that her pregnancy was fraught with severe
constipation, extreme nausea (being hospitalized for IVs), or chronic
anemia much of her life.

Adequate fiber would help assure optimal intestinal health and anything
that would assist nutrient absorption (stomach/GI supports) would also
assure nutritional health. [Now, I know that there are women who eat junk
or who have access to little food who make plenty of Hi-test milk, but we
are talking about the ones who don't.]

One concern that I have with standard prescription prenatal vitamins is the
ferrous sulfate form of iron. It causes constipation in many women, which
interferes with optimal nutrient absorption. Some of my clients relate
that, after complaining to their OBs, they have been given a prenatal with
ferrous fumerate, which causes less intestinal distress.

There may be other ingredients in the prenatals that cause problems such as
the nausea than many women have after taking them. Having "everything" in
one pill is convenient but it is probably not the best way to ingest one's
nutrients for the day.

Most aspects of health begin in the gut--infections, nutrient assimilation,
allergies, immunity, yeast imbalance, and resistance to infections. We know
this about infants and it is true when we grow up too. We need to work
toward better GI health for all of us.

So oatmeal and other "old fashioned" sustenance foods from a given culture
should be revisited. I work with mothers from other cultures and many of
them have concoctions sent to them from back home which are to assure good
milk. The mothers usually have no idea the English translation of
ingredients but they are effective.

So much to learn. And we begin with asking the questions and wondering with
each other.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]