From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:37:12 -0600
Just an encouraging thing I wanted to share:

I just caught a short report on a "red carpet" affair, where Gwyneth Paltrow and was receiving some kind of award.  It was pointed out that this was her first public appearance since the birth of her daughter.  Gwyneth, looking much more voluptuous than before, commented that being away from her baby was kind of like having her heart ripped out of her chest but, since it was just for a couple of hours, she thought she could make it.  Receiving her award, she was at a loss for words and commented that she thought she might be losing brain cells through her breast milk.   Right on, Gwyneth!

Debra Messing, also a new mom, and also looking much more voluptuous than before, said that she felt strange being out, since she had been on full-time mommy duty, so I would lay odds that she is also breastfeeding.

In American culture, where celebrities are looked up to almost as royalty, I think every celebrated mother who breastfeeds has the potential to make a difference in the number of American babies who are breastfed, especially with all the young, impressionable girls who are having babies.  One who breastfed openly, whom I felt had the potential to be especially helpful to very young mothers, was Jada Pinkett Smith.  I wish more celebrity moms would find opportunities to share the fact that they are breastfeeding!  Of course, everyone who demonstrates that she is a devoted mother, in other ways, can have a tremendous positive effect on others, too.

Aloha,
Darillyn