From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:58:30 -0400
I hope that someone can guide me to some information that can help this mother. She gave me permission to post.

Full term, epidural/vaginal birth,  BF baby girl with many stomach complaints from discharge until now. Baby is 4 weeks old, and gaining (9# at birth, 10+# now). No vitamins for either, no supplements, no smoking, no drug use.

Some formula the first few days at Ped's suggestion due to some latch difficulties, however, the latching is fine now and formula was discontinued over 2 weeks ago. Mom has plentiful milk production and normal breast anatomy. Mom also had some pain meds in the first few days but discontinued use shortly there after.

Ped advised mom to have a bland restricted diet due to complaints of gas/stomach pains in infant.
Mom called me exhausted and run-down/frustrated on such restrictions. I suggested she keep a normal /typcial diet and record on a food diary to see any patterns. She says that there is no difference when she keeps a bland diet vs a normal diet.

I observed a feed with baby and she fed well, but did grimace and seem to have discomfort both before and after feed. We discussed shorter feeding, burping, holding techniques to soothe tummy. Mom has good let down, but it did not seem overactive ,  baby kept up well during feed.

Mom has kept food diary which shows a healthy normal diet, varied in proteins, veggies, fruits. Some dairy, some wheat, oats, and no soy.

She also recorded baby's discomfort times, and they are periodic, sporadic and last up to 2 hours.Normal stools ( I  saw a recent stool for this baby and the stool looked normal).

The mother ( and baby) are frustrated with the gas/pains/crying that extend beyond a normal fussy-early evening pattern. Ped is blaming mom's diet, but at first glance the diet seems balanced and not unusual at all.

She has tried more burping, Mylicon, and other OTC measures without relief. Ped also gave suppositories, however the issue is not infrequent stool or hard stools, but painful gas during and in-between stooling. There is no IBCLC in the area to refer her to for a more detailed evaluation. There is no Ped GI doctor either.

Suggestions Welcome!!!