From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 22:00:50 -0500
In my case, Ferber prevented child abuse of my daughter and second child.
This one was very agitated in bed, and though I slept with her older and
her younger siblings, when I tried with her, neither of us would sleep.
She would snore, squirm, awake happy and ready to play at any time of the
day/night. Our only way to sleep some was to nurse her to sleep, put her in
her
bed in her room (she would awake just to hear us sleep !)... and rush to
sleep until next time, a few hours after. When she was 8 months old, I
was so tired I almost bit her little shoulder as she rested her head on
my shoulder... To this day, the memory is painful, and I thank the angel
somewhere who stopped me from doing it. That night, I put her in her bed,
saying "You can die, or you can cry... I'd rather hear you cry". She
barely whimpered, and it was the beginning of a better relationship.

Mind you, the little rascal weaned with a great grin at 10 months and
never wanted Mommy again (she tried exploring the world with me clenched
between her teeth, as she would to it at the day-care center with a
bottle, but it did not work, and she just did not find me convenient
enough), and
has pre-adolescent behavior at 6 years (endless fights on what to wear in
the morning !) Oh, she is a special one, that one! Cute as a button too.
What a culture shock she had beginning school, when she realized she
could not get by with a smile, and she had to work to learn ! Her
brothers are wonderful too, velcro babies relishing cuddles and hugs
(that is what I desire of children) but that one !!! I love her to pieces.

Sorry it is so long, but let us try not to judge some choices from
parents before walding a little bit in their shoes.

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Montreal, Quebec, Canada