Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:33:38 +0000

>Maybe we're not stuck with breastfeeding.  What do you think?  Would we
>*dare* just talk about "feeding"?
>--
>Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY
>www.wiessinger.baka.com

Maybe my fellow UK people will back me up here...I think in British
English, this is already done. If someone asks another 'are you still
feeding her?' they definitely mean 'are you still bf your daughter?'
It sounds very natural to me to hear someone say, as a 60-pus lady
did of her great-niece to me the other week, '....the baby's huge,
but she's feeding her.' (Let's not talk about what the 'but' means!!)
I have heard women say 'I fed all of mine' or conversely, 'I didn't
manage to feed mine.'

Some of this is, I am sure, with some, a bit of a reluctance to use
the word 'breast', but not all of it.  I suspect that in British
English, we use 'feeding' where you in the US would say 'nursing'.  I
think I tend to use 'feeding' myself on many occasions, partly
because it sounds natural, and partly because of ideological reasons
: )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK