From:
Pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:38:15 -0500
Message text written by Lactation Information and Discussion
>yesterday, the American Academy of Pediatrics released a new
Circumcision Policy Statement stating that existing medical data does not
support the routine circumcision of male newborns.

Hi Maurenne and Netters,
As you can tell, I have spent most of the day catching up on lactnet.  No
Maureene, I am not going to start up on circumcisions.  I was a L & D nurse
and Nursery nurse that dreaded every time I had to  assist with those
horrible things.  Thank God I had 3 girls because my husband and I had the
biggest fight when I was in labor because I refused to sign the consent for
circumcision.  I want to share with you all the discussion I had  with
JCAHO (Joint Commision) specifically standards today.  I had talked with
them last year about BF and hospital standards and was told at that time
that all were very general and they had discussed things with LLLI.  After
the AAP Policy Statement on BF came out last Dec.  I thought they were
moving forward with some new standards for hospitals.  Wrong.  In fact the
person told me that he just received something on circumcision and that
really nothing will be changing on any of these standards.  I tryed to go
into my lecture on how important it was to have specific standards on BF
because how important BF is today,. (as if it wasn't before), etc, etc.  He
really was not interested.  Will people ever listen????
Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc
Naperville, IL