Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:59:33 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Maurenne, so please share this calendar with me...

It is also instructive if you can get more than one mother's milk to show at the same time, to show how they can vary. 

" One tip another LC gave me was if it smells bad or tastes bad, it has probably spoiled.  The foul odor/taste is a sign that the bacterial count in 
the milk is high."

One caveat on this rule, however, is this is true when you are speaking of fresh breastmilk (though obviously it's not that fresh).  For some moms, when they defrost their frozen milk, it has a funny to foul smell, and possibly vile taste, apparently from what happens to the fat.  Heating it to almost a boil helps both smell and taste.  And oddly enough, most babies don't seem to notice it, it bothers moms and caregivers more.  

I found out about this when I tasted some of my own frozen milk.  With gallons in the fridge (I was a very prolific provider), I thought I would be appropriate to make some icecream for the NICU that my son was in.  I ended up defrosting and discarding more than a gallon of milk, from 4 oz. containers, and went to the hospital in tears to tell my tale.  They cried with me, but their tears for the lost milk were also mingled with tears of mirth. They had forgotten to warn me that this sometimes happens and what to do about it.

Sincerely,  Chanita, San Francisco

ATOM RSS1 RSS2