From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:39:01 -0400

>I have a question about our storage containers. We use sterile water =
>bottles and their lids. These are provided by a formula company. My =
>concern is that these lids let milk leak out when the nurses are mixing =
>the breastmilk with human milk fortifier.  If milk can leak out of the =
>top while the lid is screwed on tightly, what can get into the milk =
>during storage and handling?  Does anyone else use these types of lids - =
>are you concerned about contamination during storage?
>Dani Hudspeth RN BSN IBCLC

Every hospital in US (NICU or Normal newborn) does collection and storage of
breastmilk slightly different.  In regards to the disposable glass formula
bottles, they are not to be reused and if sterilizing, etc. can cause mico
glass particles to get into the milk.  No we are not talking about chunks
that will cut the baby's mouth or gut.  The tops, however, can be recycled.
 I know of hospitals where the volunteers will collect them at the end of the
shift, wash them send them to be autoclaved in those cute little plastic
bags.  Later they are returned to the nursery to be used with the ross or
medela plastic botlles.  If you are interested in the HMBANA (Human Milk Bank
Assoc. of North
America) "Reccommendations for Collection, Storage, and Handling of  Mother's
Milk for her Own Infant in the Hospital Setting"you can send $25.00 to PO Box
370464, West Hartford, CT  06137-0464.  Lots of controversies still though.

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela, Inc
Naperville, IL- where the sun is shining and in the 70's- yeh