From:
Robert Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:28:24 -0600
I'm requesting permission from the person that posted the following
information, and do I need permission from LactNet, also?  If possible, I
would like to show this to the Task Force that I'm part of, as they are
writing a letter to medical professionals.  Please respond to my private
addy [log in to unmask]

Thanks,
Lisa E.

What is most frustrating to me is that as an LC I ask myself, am I doing
enough to educate the providers about DEPO and breastfeeding?  I agree
totally with educating mom beforehand, extremely important!!!!
We keep saying that there is nothing that states the risks about Depo and
BF.  Well, after my rant on Lactnet yesterday I went to the FDA website, (as
suggested by another post several years ago by Lisa Jones-check the
archives) and did a search for depo.  There are several new warnings
reported, one directly from Pfizer stating that Depo can cause OSTEOPOROSIS,
but read on, in the patient information and the Physician information
package.

I was at first stunned by the amount of side effects associated with depo.
We talk about our moms not hearing from their HCP about the risks to bf, but
when you look at ALL the possible side effects listed, and realize that
mothers are not getting information on ANY side effects, it gets even
scarier.

In the literature, that I am sure many of you will download, read and share,
it definitivly states that depo should not be administered to EXCLUSIVE bf
women before 6 wks postpartum. (which makes me wonder, what if mom says she
is "going to do both" like we hear so often?)

Secondly, in risks reported by 1% or less of the women studied in this
clinical trial, prevention of lactation, as I think they worded it, IS THERE
in print!  So guess what?  IT IS in writing and we do have something to
share with HCP's on this subject.

As one of my peer counselors pointed out when I shared this info with her,
"what's 1% of a million?".  In other words, 1% may not seem like a lot, but
overall, it is huge.

I will be making copies of all these documents and sharing it with my moms,
and the OB's in my health center.  Of course I will continue to give my mom
info on bc methods that are more compatable with bf.

Honestly, if we don't speak up about this issue and what we are seeing, and
begin to demand change, who will?

www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2004/nov_PI/Depo-Provera_PI.pdf - 06-27-2006
www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2004/DepoProvera_deardoc.pdf - 06-27-2006