From:
"mumma2wldthings @mac.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:09:19 -0500
Hi,

It is so commonly stated around here that your will supply will decrease
(dry up even ) when you begin to menstruate that even I am beginning to
wonder.  It used to always be said that "some mothers notice their
babies
become fussier" around the time they have their period. Sometimes this
was
attributed to a difference in taste. (How would we know that?)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hi, barb!

just wanted to respond that some of us know that b/c our children tell
us so ... my 1st 2 both nursed until 5 & they always told me "it
tastes different/not so sweet/makes me thirsty". my 3 yo dd is still
nursing and speaks as well as a 6 yo - she tells me i need to eat more
sugary things to make her milk sweet again. (what is that old joke
about if they're old enough to ask for it verbally, it's time to
wean ? - so if they're telling you what to put into your diet to
tailor the taste of your milk to their palate, what the heck time is
it then, time to kick them out of the house ? LOL ! )

this post has come at perfect timing for me - literally - i am on day
2 of menstrual cycle and day 2 of 17 month old, very sensitive,
technically FTT bb nursing all through the night. i have been
wondering myself ever since he (finally) started sleeping through the
night at around a yr if my supply radically decreases in addition to
the taste changing at this time of the month.  i used to chart my
cycles but no longer bother since i sent dh to the vet to get fixed.
but i still know when my period is coming like clockwork b/c elijah
suddenly starts nursing around the clock again the night before it
starts ! i've never had menstrual probs or issues of any kind, but now
i identify w/ women who do b/c i am tired, achy and crabby from
nursing all night long. and i *do* notice that he is fussier and
crabbier at this time, as well - and a lot clingier !

i was just helping a new mom w/ a 2 wk old baby the 1st day of this
cycle and he was a little tyrant about me holding the baby anywhere
near my chest. (i just happened to run into her at our chiropractor's
office and she wanted a demo on different holds for tiny babies and
large-breasted moms). normally if i handle a baby around elijah, he
loves them and wants to hug and kiss them, but i've noticed a cpl
times on my cycle that he becomes very territorial and possessive. and
he is tandem-nursed, side by side w/ his older sister, so it always
takes me by surprise.

so, i know the taste changes, i suspect it becomes a bit depleted and
makes him a little frantic to keep the supply up so he nurses a lot
more... i wonder if this also makes him worried that i'm going to
start nursing a 3rd baby if the whim strikes me (i was nursing 3 for
his 1st 6 mos ) and he has to assert his objections.  i'm curious to
hear other responses, is there anything going on hormonally that would
normally deplete supply at that time of the month ?

~jacqui gruttadauria, bsw
(near detroit, michigan)
www.myspace.com mummaTOwldhtings

It's about Love.