From:
Jan Cornfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 11:45:19 +1000
As someone who offered education for health professionals for 35 years, 20 of which was in a small business (and the rest as a volunteer in non-profit organisations), I must question the validity and emotive nature of some of Liz Brooks' statements about education providers, including "commercial bias is what it is all about":
  >>Commercial interests have a professional responsibility to make money; for them, commerical bias is what it is all about.   This -- in and of
  itself -- is not illegal or immoral or unethical or even bad manners.  It is simply what commercial interests do.  It is why they were created.  I am typing this post on a computer that was created by a commercial interest that wanted to make money designing, marketing and selling it to me.  It is legal moral and ethical for the computer company to do so.>> (Liz B)

What's the source for the following statements ?:
  >> IBCLCs will find that education from commercial sources -- even if they paid for it -- will not be eligible for CERPs. (Liz B.)  and
  >>IBLCE will not award CERPs for any education offered by any commercial vendor, least of all WHO-Code-violators.>> (Liz B.)

cos I find it scare mongering. I have also spoken to IBLCE to try to find evidence to support these comments.

  >>* ALL HCPs should be leery of education offered by a commercial vendor -- whether they pay for it or not -- primarily because of conflict and bias concerns, not WHO Code or continuing education credit issues.>> (Liz B.)
Health care professionals should be discerning about all education.
ILCA and some other organisations are far more commercial than several education providers (in business) that I'm familiar with.. I recall one high profile breastfeeding advocate saying that the 2006 ILCA Philadelphia Conference was an embarrassing pump fest - and there was significant participant criticism.

Many IBCLCs supplement their income through pump rental or providing education/speaking at conferences, are they just about 'commercial bias' as you've stated in reference to 'commercial interests'.

        >>.. am I receviing marketing messages cloaked as education?>>  (Liz B.)

Does ILCA ensure that *no* speaker has a commercial message or association and has every presentation really been 'critically reviewed by peers' ? Check the ILCA program for 2011 and confirm for yourself that every session is free of commercial interest ??

Will ILCA insist that Medela's logo not be on any powerpoint presentations at their next Conference and that Medela not feature prominently as part of any presentation. Having a logo on each powerpoint slide in keynote presentations is better than being in the Exhibit Hall - even if Medela was allowed - because the education information is being delivered with a subliminal message.

There are businesses around breastfeeding that I see as no different from an IBCLC in private practice - or anyone else seeking to earn an income. I was a full-time volunteer for 15 years, supported financially to do all that involved. When my children were older, I returned to the paid workforce but not to my first profession (accountancy) where I could have earned far more money, but to something that had become such a big part of my life. ("Find a job that you love and you'll never work again..")

Jan Cornfoot
Maleny, Australia