From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 19:34:04 -0800
Hi All,
Hannah had some concerns:

>>2. The teeth marks are probably pressure marks, which isn't all that
>>unusual in an older baby nursing. If the teeth are sharp, a dentist may be
>>able to smooth the edges. Be sure to pick a compassionate and sensitive
>>dentist who works with children a lot.

>Maybe this step is more routine in your area...maybe I'm just a bit silly
>about dental treatment...but the thought of a little child sitting there in
>the dentist's chair having his teeth filed smooth to make things more comfy
>for his mum...

Hannah, I have to say that this is very common, and very simple to do.  It
doesn't hurt, and if Mom is being hurt (or in pain) because of sharp teeth
and mom and baby want to continue BF, then it may be the only answer.
On a personal note, about 5 weeks ago, PJ (and his poor enamel) developed a
chip in his enamel that was very sharp.  It wasn't even noticeable to look
at it, but man did it hurt.  One morning, after trying to ignore this pain
for 4 nights, I awoke to dried blood all over my breast, my sheets and
shirt, and PJs face.  His tooth had caused a laceration about 3/4in long and
a bit on the deep side. (I remember it happening, but didn't realize it was
that bad.)  I immediately found an emory board, laid PJ on his back with his
head in my lap and about 3 strokes was all it took and the chip was gone, no
more problems.  I told his dentist (the one who just did his surgery) about
what I had done and he told me that it was perfect because he would have
told me to do the same thing over the phone.
So it really is no big deal, and it can really make the difference for a mom
and child who want to BF, but can't because toddlers teeth are too sharp.
Besides, when a child is ready to wean, s/he will do so without sharpening
their teeth to get the "point" across to mom. :)

Warmly,
Jay

Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
ICQ#4681696