Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 07:54:43 EDT
I've been home from the ILCA conference for a couple of days.  It was  a
wonderful conference -- the parade of flags was especially moving -- a flag  for
every country represented at the conference.  Did you know that we have  IBCLCs
in 65 countries?!  Nils Bergman just reinforced what we already  intuitively
know about kangaroo care, Donna Ramsey had some wonderful  information about
breast emptying -- I can't wait to read her information  (unfortunately much of
it is published in a journal I don't get....).  Too  many others to
mention....

ILCA has come a long way since the days of the office being in Ginni  Bracket
t's home, the phone in my house, and the mid-winter board meetings at the
home of Linda Kutner.   Lots of wonderful memories brought back at  this 20th
anniversary celebration!

The originators of ILCA were presented with purple scarves, and the past
presidents with red hats.  Faith Bedford, ILCA's first president was there,  and
Kathy Auerbach came to the anniversary party on Friday night.  I  haven't seen
her in a long time -- what a delight!  I hope everyone that  was there picked
up the facsimile copy of the very first "JHL" -- then called  Consultant's
Corner; typewritten and collated on Faith's kitchen table.  It  was a whopping
16 pages (that is, 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of paper folded over and  stapled).
Membership fees for volunteers was $25/year; for professional  practitioners
(employed) was $40/year.

What was most fun was seeing so many people that I know -- or have read on
Lactnet.

But a special thank you to Cathy & Alyssa Watson-Genna, Diane  Weissinger,
Nancy Mohrbacher, and Kay Hoover for my Purple Duct Tape  Award.  I love it!!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC

_http://motherofbridebyJan.blogspot.com_
(http://motherofbridebyjan.blogspot.com/)