From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:48:32 +0100
Linda

You've written a very compelling mini-review.  Great info!  Many
thanks indeed.  I've written again and again to describe how all
preterm babies - from 600g - 1800g in the neonatal nurseries in
Zimbabwean hospitals received no HMF at all - it was unknown - but
only Vit D and extra calcium on a case by case basis, and extra iron
much later.  Ordinary formula was used for those babies whose mothers
were not making quite enough colostrum, but the amounts were tiny and
completely phased out by Day 2-3 when EBM was the only food/fluid
given.  Once stable, the babies would receive exclusively their
mothers' own EBM in gradually increasing quantities - up to 280 -
300ml/kg/day, and they would gain and grow well - the highest gain
I've worked was a 34-weeker  who started gaining 76g/day on exclusive
breastmilk-feeding.  There was no manipulation of the milk, siphoning
off the cream etc - it was fed as it was produced, foremilk and
hindmilk simply shaken up and fed via NGT, spoon, or cup - bottles
and pacifiers were prohibited.  Well babies were discharged home at
1800g exclusively breastfeeding if they gained 20-30g/day showing
that they were thriving. Several people on LACTNET have warned about
long-term health, bone mineralization etc, but I never heard any of
these concerns from the paediatricians.  Now your review queries the
risks vs benefits to HMF based on cow's milk, particularly in the
long term.  I think this is really important.  Could you let us have
the full refs, please, for the studies you cite?

Gross 1987
Lucas 1996
Bishop 1996
Kuschel in 2001 Cochrane review