From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 19:28:41 EDT
Hi everyone
A friend of mine, who is a physician & nursing a 4 year old,
recently told me that her colleagues are concerned that
extended breastfeeding will greatly increase her risk of
post menopausal osteoporosis. My helpful husband (the scientific
literature searcher & librarian) did a Medline literature search
and boned up on the topic for us.

In a review of the medical literature from 1966 to the present,
20 studies reported breastfeeding as protective or neutral in relation
to osteoporosis.  Only 3 indicated any negative relationship at
all.  Of course these studies vary in depth and we cannot simply
think that it is a vote of 17 to 3.

We will compile a list of these references, with abstracts, in the
next week or so.  Private email if you want a copy.

Sarah Friend Barnett, M.A., LLL leader, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY